[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Next release after 2.5 minor series will be 3.0

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Mon Jul 9 13:03:19 PDT 2018

We've been quietly toying with this idea, but would like to put in stone.

Instead of having yet another minor of 2, let's go to 3.0.

Hey we went from 1.5 to 2, seems appropriate to go from 2.5 to 3.

All PostGIS developers and packagers I'd like your feedback too since it
will sway our decision.

My main reason for wanting to jump to 3.0 is so we can standardize on
dropping the minor version in our  lib file.

So that means 3.0 would have a lib file
postgis-3.whatever_extension_os_prefers.

No postgis-3.0  etc.  just postgis-3

And thenceforth all PostGIS from 3.0 on will no longer have the .minor
version and we will promise as a project to ensure we will not remove C-API
functions referenced in prior 3.whatever  SQL api and never do so during the
series of a major release.
Thus making pg_upgrade possible without having install an older version of
PostGIS or to do hacks symlink  lib files from older versions to newer or
having people have to ask us - is it okay to symlink?

+1 for 3.0

Here are some other things on table for 3.0

https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/PostGIS3  (breakout of postgis raster I
am totally against :) )

don't forget we've got a code sprint coming up this September to discuss
this and other topics.  Signup so we know how many people to expect.

https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/PostGISCodeSprint2018

If you are only going to join remotely, it's okay to put your name on their
but with note (Remote)

Thanks,
Regina