[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Next release after 2.5 minor series will be 3.0

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Mon Jul 9 13:49:13 PDT 2018

I think the wiki page outlines some of the desired changes. To an extent they can be made “backwards compatible” for older installations, using the version flags in gserialized. Things like an uncompressed header area, some kind of double-optimized compression on coordinate lists, perhaps an expandable header ala twkb, and use of ‘external’ storage to avoid the application of pglz compression to the (already compressed) coordinate lists.

The goal being faster access to header information for large objects. There’s a lot of potential balancing to do w/ that kind of format, including things like leaving smaller objects uncompressed for direct double access, etc, etc. It’s unfortunately a fair amount of work with unknown benefits, though to the extent the pglz consistently shows up as a major call point when profiling spatial joins, potentially quite worth it.