[postgis-devel] Advancing GiST in PgSQL

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski me at komzpa.net
Mon Jul 30 04:10:03 PDT 2018

Hi!

сб, 28 июл. 2018 г. в 13:44, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm at yandex-team.ru>:

> Hi!
>
> I'm working on GiST advancement and hacked out some patches, now I'm
> trying to push them into upstream. But it is a long and tedious process, so
> I've come up with idea to make fork of a GiST as extension (you can check
> out very crude prototype here [0])

How do you see a process of PostGIS depending on your gist-as-extension?

Is it going to be part of core?

Why will it live long and prosper? :)

> BTW, 2 and 3 are on current commitfest and everyone is very welcome to
> review them. 2 is very tiny, less than 100loc.

Can you provide a commitfest link?

> All these things are already implemented. But I'm looking for more ideas.
> Darafei Praliaskouski shared with me some ideas on bulk loading, so I'm
> going to implement them too.

There is btree_gist contrib. A good solution, IMHO, would be to make it
indistinguishable from the "real" btree.

> As far as I know PostGIS is the main consumer for Generalized index Search
> Trees, so, after all, may be we do not need too generalized index.
> If you have some ideas what can be done better in indexing, I'll
> appreciate if you share them with me. Currently I'm just doing things
> faster and more efficient.

A big question is "Problem of Russia" - Russia spans over 180 meridian, and
its box covers all of Europe and US. Any indexed query in that area keeps
rechecking full contour of Russia, slowing everything down. It would be
good if indexing machinery can cope with several bounding boxes living in
different parts of index, each coverting much smaller area.

> And finally, most important question: will it be useful as extension? Does
> this idea worth efforts? Are there any problems which will make this
> extension unusable?

A thing I'm afraid of is maintenance of extension for newer Postgres
versions, and dependency management with PostGIS.
--
Darafei Praliaskouski
Support me: http://patreon.com/komzpa