[postgis-devel] Regarding Raster RFC2 edit (r16452)

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Sun Mar 11 12:54:55 PDT 2018

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 08:49:39PM +0100, Even Rouault wrote:
> On dimanche 11 mars 2018 20:41:21 CET Sandro Santilli wrote:
> > Bborie, could you please revert your r16452 and discuss here
> > before such a change ?
>
> Sandro,
>
> FYI, the documentation change looks good to me. It just reflects a (at least) 6-year old implementation reality:
> https://github.com/postgis/postgis/blame/bd3177743db5cb786deb05d7327f39a5cec2daf6/raster/rt_core/librtcore.h#L196

That means it institutionalizes an (at least) 9-years old bug!
https://svn.osgeo.org/postgis/spike/wktraster/rt_core/rt_api.h

I would have expected a discussion about how to fix the situation,
but I agree it makes sense to change docs, only that such a big
change should be clearly advertised (the top of RFC2 has a
a revision history section)

> That said, some warning in both RFC2 and librtcore.h to advertize the hole in the numbering would be helpful.

Agreed.