[postgis-devel] Validity flag

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Nov 15 07:38:24 PST 2018

On jeudi 15 novembre 2018 16:26:56 CET Hugo Mercier wrote:
> On 15/11/2018 11:55, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> > I was asking just because I'm pretty sure we need more flagspace
> > for introducing validity. And we need NOT to consume all flags,
> > so that we can use the last available flag for specifying there
> > are more flags following it.
>
> Are you suggesting a variable-length flags in postgis 3.0 header ?
>
> Each flag byte would have one bit that says "wait there is more" ?

I'm not saying this is necessary what must be followed, but as an example of a
binary geometry encoding with a variable length header, there is:
http://www.geopackage.org/spec/#gpb_format

Another rather extensible option would be to encode the geometry header as a
protocol buffer message.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com