[postgis-devel] Why do we still install liblwgeom includes

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Tue Nov 27 09:38:09 PST 2018

> "Regina Obe" <lr at pcorp.us> writes:
>
> > I like that idea.  That include causes me nothing but grief.  I had
> > the same issue on Debbie last week.  I had to delete liblwgeom which
> > include got installed in the PostgreSQL folder.
>
> I may be misfollowing here, but:
>
> So how is this qgis processing plugin going to build?   Or are you
> saying it's ok to break that?
[Regina Obe]

Using liblwgeom outside of PostGIS is not supported so qgis processing
plugin shouldn't be using it and if they are they are stuck on an old
version.
So any package using it is doing so at their own risk.

The issue is liblwgeom library changes with each version of PostGIS and we
don't even guarantee it's ABI stable within a micro release, though
generally it is.
We don't want a newer PostGIS hooking to an older liblwgeom or an older
PostGIS hooking to newer liblwgeom so we definitely don't want it installed
in system.

Thanks,
Regina