[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Stop installing liblwgeom INCLUDES in system

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Nov 28 10:04:15 PST 2018

> In the modern world where almost all use of any successful program is via
> packaging systems, having other parts of postgis also depend
(theoretically
> unnecessarily) on things that other parts actually depend on does not
hurt.

[Regina Obe]
Well to me it hurts when we have to drag in CGAL /Boost / etc. just because
postgis_sfcgal needs it.
It hurts that I can't just package my commandline tools without them relying
on CGAL/Boost when they have 0 need for them.

>From a packaging perspective you can break up the postgis package much more
easily if you don't have these needless dependencies.

Whether packagers do that or not they are free to decide just as they are
free to decide what bits of PostGIS they want to compile.

I think maybe we are stuck on the word Library to mean dynamically linked.
I'll grant you "It is a library". It's more like macro library where sharing
at the source level rather than the binary is desired :)

It's not a library we want dynamically linked because there is little
benefit to doing so.