[postgis-devel] about serialization i PostGIS 3.0

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski me at komzpa.net
Fri Oct 5 21:00:11 PDT 2018

> My idea is about solving the second part, and I don't know how it will
> affect the overall compression.
>
> Any thoughts?

I see a problem with this approach: what is the actual operation that is
going to get benefit from it?

If we're making the format coordinate-number-addressable, then we need to
utilize that. It means writing two versions of functions that operate on
it, on "compressed" and "uncompressed" representation. The number of
functions that will not require a complete scan over geometry is also
pretty small - just StartPoint / EndPoint / PointN?
--
Darafei Praliaskouski
Support me: http://patreon.com/komzpa