[postgis-devel] [postgis-users] PostGIS case usages

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Tue Oct 30 00:34:25 PDT 2018

Hi Regina

Very good news with a new PostGIS book!

A simple but very powerful combination of tools I use quite a lot is
PostgreSQL/PostGIS and postgREST (http://postgrest.org)

PostgREST uses postgreSQL built in json functions to create a rest-api.
It can serve tables and views out of the box, but also functions (to
build customized json objects).

So it is fairly straight forward to create a simple geojson service
with bounding box filtering. It also has an authentication system where
the db-role to use is baked into a jwt.io token that goes in the
request header. So, with some row level security out of the box or
customized row level security, the geometries delivered can be
controlled by the token used.

With all the functionality in PostgreSQL and PostGIS straight into the
api controlled by ordinary database roles this is very powerful.

I use nginx in front but postgrest can also run it's own web server.

I think this could be worth some text in a nnew book :-)

Regards

Nicklas