[postgis-devel] Raster/Vector Split @ PostgresOpen

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Mon Sep 10 10:51:57 PDT 2018

Since I was at PostgresOpen last week, I took the opportunity to socialize the raster/vector split with the major PaaS vendors.

I told them
- raster / vector split was probably coming
- the upgrade script would be concomitantly more complex
- we want to ensure they do a lot of testing of the split before release

The reactions were all positive, both in terms of committing to do pre-release testing (we’ll see) and in terms of approving of the split in general. At least one vendor was ecstatically happy that it would be possible to have GDAL-free builds of PostGIS. None of them considered the raster functionality of PostGIS to be something that was widely in use, so the number of folks expected to even be in a position to be affected by this is theoretically quite small.

We should do some testing on our own part during the sprint, try to figure out various awful cases that might break the upgrade process.

ATB,