[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Drop the minor in the postgis lib files

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Thu Sep 27 08:30:46 PDT 2018

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 05:14:50PM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:

> When users upgrade from, for example, jessie to stretch, they need to
> upgrade their database cluser from postgresql-9.4 with
> postgresql-9.4-postgis-2.1 (which provides postgis-2.1.so) to
> postgresql-9.6 with postgresql-9.6-postgis-2.3 (which provides
> postgis-2.3.so).

When you say "they need to upgrade" you mean the package manager
forces that upgrade ? Because you mention there's a _single_ version
of PostgreSQL supported, so I'm wondering if users can have two ONLY
during an upgrade.

> pg_upgrade fails because the new cluster does not have postgis-2.1. And
> users are forced to recreate their database from scatch if they don't
> want to use the symlink hacks which require modifying paths managed by
> the packaging system. Those symlinks will not be remove with their next
> distribution upgrade because they are not part of a package that is
> being removed leaving cruft on the users filesystem they have to
> manually cleanup.

They'd need symlinks only until they properly upgrade all databases.
Again, is this done automatically by Debian packagers ?
Otherwise we could provide a script ourselves to do it.
The script would:

   1. Create symlinks if needed
   2. Run pg_upgrade
   3. Update postgis in all databases [*]
   4. Drop the symlinks

What concerns me is the handling of failures in step 3, both
in the manual case and (worst?) in the automatic case.