[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Drop the minor in the postgis lib files

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Sat Sep 29 00:39:12 PDT 2018

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 09:02:06AM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:
> > When you say "they need to upgrade" you mean the package manager
> > forces that upgrade ? Because you mention there's a _single_ version of
> > PostgreSQL supported, so I'm wondering if users can have two ONLY during
> > an upgrade.
> >
> [Regina Obe]
> Even if the packagers offered multiple versions, upgrading PostGIS is a serious pain.
>
> Think about it.  You go from 9.3 2.3  to 11 postgresql 2.5
>
> And you were running 2.3 on 9.3, that means you have to
>
> a) Upgrade your 9.3 to 2.5, which means you need to install  both 2.3 and 2.5 installed on 9.3

And here you can catch and deal with any issue the upgrade will raise.
(but I note our build matrix says 2.5 does not support 9.2, we could fix that)

> b) pg_upgarde to 9.3 and then upgrade your 2.3 to 2.5 which means you have to have 2.3 and 2.5 installed on your PostgreSQL 11

You mean pg_upgrade to 11 here. And again our 2.3 does not support 11
(or so says the build matrix).

> c) Symlink and hope the PostGIS maintainers had the good sense not to remove any functions backing the functions.
>
> None of the above is as pleasant as just
>
> Install the new version of PostgreSQL with the newest PostGIS for that PostgreSQL and just pg_upgrade.

... and hope PostGIS maintainers had the good sense not to remove any
    functions backing the functions ...

> Anyway I'm tired of arguing this.  I'm going to take your lack of vote as a +1 and move forward with this.

I though I voted already to go ahead, this was a post-vote discussion :)