[postgis-devel] Debian packaging and upgrade

Bas Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 4 03:14:04 PDT 2019

On 2019-04-04 11:58, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 04, 2019 at 11:14:20AM +0200, Bas Couwenberg wrote:
>> On 2019-04-04 11:01, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>> > currently during a dist-upgrade the older postgis package is dropped. As
>> > a result, the old cluster is still there, but has no postgis, and this
>> > prevents pg_dump and upgradecluster. Wouldn't it be better to keep the
>> > old package, like the old postgresql?
>>
>> We're only maintaining a single postgis version in Debian, so this
>> cannot
>> easily be fixed.
>>
>> Not including the version in the extension will help to use the new
>> package
>> with the old database and allow using pg_upgradecluster to migrate the
>> PostGIS databases to the new cluster.
>
> Are you referring to the name of the .so file here ?

Yes, these:

  postgis-2.5.so
  postgis_topology-2.5.so
  rtpostgis-2.5.so

> On postgis-users Paolo reported that using the symlink trick
> did not work, due to mismatching postgresql server version
> expected by the .so file. Was this an error on his side,
> symlinking to the wrong .so file ?

Possibly.

When upgrading from stretch to buster you're going from:

  postgresql-9.6-postgis-2.3 providing:
   /usr/lib/postgresql/9.6/lib/address_standardizer-2.3.so
   /usr/lib/postgresql/9.6/lib/postgis-2.3.so
   /usr/lib/postgresql/9.6/lib/postgis_topology-2.3.so
   /usr/lib/postgresql/9.6/lib/rtpostgis-2.3.so

to:

  postgresql-11-postgis-2.5 providing:
   /usr/lib/postgresql/11/lib/address_standardizer.so
   /usr/lib/postgresql/11/lib/postgis-2.5.so
   /usr/lib/postgresql/11/lib/postgis_topology-2.5.so
   /usr/lib/postgresql/11/lib/rtpostgis-2.5.so

So both the version of postgresql and postgis change, as usual for
distribution upgrades.

I consider the symlink hack abhorrent, and personally choose to reimport
my databases on upgrade as long as pg_upgradecluster doesn't work.

Kind Regards,

Bas