[postgis-devel] NEWS file in 3.0 branch

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Wed Dec 18 12:32:15 PST 2019

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 06:00:58PM +0100, rmrodriguez at carto.com wrote:

> the stable-3.0 is now missing the reference to 30-50 tickets that were
> indeed fixed in that release.

You mean fixes that never went into 2.5 series ?
Because when I was doing releases I was following the rule that
.0 releases (new releases) would ONLY come out with features,
not bugfixes (which would instead be relegated to .n>0 releases.

> Let's take #4459 as an example. It was fixed and backported both in
> trunk (3.0) and 2.5, but since RC and beta notes were removed there is
> no longer a reference to it. What's the point of having a NEWS file if
> it's going to be incomplete and only list tickets before the first
> beta?

Release 2.5.3 contained that fix. I think the NEWS file in each 3.0.x
release should include all NEWS section of previous releases published
at the time of the new release.

So, in this case, if the NEWS file for 3.0.1 includes up to 2.5.3
(or 2.5.4, if 2.5.4 is out before 3.0.1) then we would not miss anything.

I'm sure I'm missing some important issue, like timeline mixup
(2.5.4 being published before 3.0.1 resulting in hard-to-write/read
order in NEWS sections).