[postgis-devel] Using pkg-config for PROJ

Raúl Marín Rodríguez rmrodriguez at carto.com
Thu Feb 7 00:44:08 PST 2019

Hi,

Yesterday I had issues compiling postgres after setting a new
development environment; it was complaining mid-compilation that it
couldn't find the proj headers. I dig a bit and found out that I was
supposed to be passing `--with-projdir`, which is something I had
never done in Linux (because it's installed in the default paths),
even tough PROJ had a pkg-build file pointing to the right directory.

I'm wondering if there is a reason as to why we aren't defaulting to
using `pkg-config`. If nobody opposes to it, I intend to change the
behaviour to: Use `--with-projdir` if passed, elif installed
`pkg-config` use that, else use whatever flags are passed / system
defaults.

Any thoughts?

--
Raúl Marín Rodríguez