[postgis-devel] Bump GDAL and Proj versions for PostGIS 3

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Sat Jul 13 22:02:52 PDT 2019

>> I'm building postgis packages for apt.postgresql.org and I'd hate to
>> have to tell people to use yet another external repository for stuff
>> we ship. (And I'd rather also avoid having to build yet more
>> backports inside our repository.)
>
> Something I have long not understood:  If someone is ok with gdal
> 1.11, why aren't they ok with postgis 2.2?

> Yeah, quite a tension there. PGDG yum builds out its own GDAL/GEOS/PROJ, so they can release the latest PostGIS with the latest Pg.

PostGIS is a big animal.  Some people don't care about raster so the version of GDAL is irrelevant and even then for basic raster work it works.
So yes a lot of people might want PostGIS 2.5 or PostGIS 3.0 and not want to upgrade their GDAL.

That said guys - we are in alpha mode.  I feel uncomfortable changing requirements now that we've hit alpha.
Is there a real pressing reason why we can't still support GDAL 1.11 (aside from the fact it's EOL'd)

Like I said - I'd rather see everyone off of the PostGIS 2 series, than to put road blocks in there way of getting off.

Thanks,
Regina