[postgis-devel] COSTS

Raúl Marín Rodríguez rmrodriguez at carto.com
Mon Mar 11 03:45:01 PDT 2019

Hi,

Recently I've been doing some tests with CARTO's costs in Postgis and
found that some of the costs we had were too high in some cases (bit
point datasets):
- ST_Simplify: I reduced it from 512 to 64.
- ST_Intersects: I reduced it from 512 to 128.

They are now setup with cost _COST_HIGH (10000) which seems really
excesive, but I'll wait until I can test with PG12 + trunk to test it.

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 10:54 PM Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca> wrote:

> So, FYI for those working against PG12, I have added in costing, and upped the costs for functions in PG12 substantially. So, let’s see if (a) something breaks around planning and/or (b) parallelism improves with these new costs?
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/4344
>
> The knobs for moving costs around globally are in
>
> https://github.com/postgis/postgis/blob/239f2286989135b9a3156ce7789f45f09fcf0d3b/postgis/sqldefines.h.in#L24-L41
>
> P.

Raúl Marín Rodríguez
carto.com