[postgis-devel] Docker and Lightweight Libraries

Adam Dadvar adam.dadvar at gmail.com
Fri May 10 04:37:51 PDT 2019

Hi,

*"We build images for CI  where we build all the dependencies but*

*postgis
(https://cloud.docker.com/u/postgis/repository/docker/postgis/postgis-build-env
<https://cloud.docker.com/u/postgis/repository/docker/postgis/postgis-build-env>)but
not for distribution." *

Makes sense to use it for CI, again was mostly just wondering about
distribution, would be good to get people's thoughts on setting one up.

*"I'm not sure what bash scripts you are refering too, but this lookslike a
packaging request/issue."*

Sorry, I should have been more clear.
The bash script I'm referring to is *shp2pgsql, *I left it plural because I
wasn't sure if there are any other PostGIS commands that are executable
from the terminal.
This is more a packaging request yes. I'll admit I'm not sure on the
dependencies within PostGIS, so it may be that even just for
*shp2pgsql* requires
a lot of these dependencies, just wanted to float the idea and if we can
foresee a large amount of disk savings then maybe it is worth the effort.

*"One note, the packages I build locallyincluding everything (binaries and
libraries with full debug symbols,update scripts...) take ~43MB so
something looks suspicious in your300MB library."*

The 300MB footprint I'm talking about is the fact that if I remove PostGIS
from my machine (Fedora 29 with postgreSQL client only) I get 360MB of
freed space:

$ dnf remove postgis
Transaction Summary
Remove  33 Packages

Freed space: 360 M
Is this ok [y/N]:

Obviously this is mostly from the other libraries, but I was just wondering
if there was any way that a smaller client-only version could be created.

Regards,
Adam