[postgis-devel] gzip support for ST_AsMVT

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 01:49:49 PST 2019

Paul, one (possibly newbie) question - I noticed you used `gzip(bytea)`,
and I read in [1] that text performs about 17% better (for read queries,
not sure about in-memory operations). Does it make sense to add gzip(text)
variant?   I concatenate ST_AsMVT() data with STRING_AGG, thus end up with
a TEXT, and wonder if there is a conversion cost.  Thanks!!

[1] http://engineering.pivotal.io/post/bytea_versus_text_in_postgresql/