[postgis-devel] Postgis 3.1 minimum requirements update

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 11 11:42:33 PST 2019

On 11/11/19 8:25 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I went to check what pkgsrc has nad thought it was 3.8.0, but no that's
> my local tree with an update staged that I'm not 100% sure its prudent
> to push to the world, and it's 3.7.3 actually in pkgsrc.

There shouldn't be any issues to update to GEOS 3.8.0. Only OSSIM was
using the C++ API until the breakage caused by 3.8.0 provided enough
motivation to finally switch to the C API.

> Definitely we should see what Bas thinks here.

No objections from me.

If packages require library versions that aren't available in a
distribution release, they'll just be blocked for a while.

With postgis only updated in Debian unstable the required dependencies
should be available already or at least in experimental.

The pgapt builds provided by Christoph for older releases are more
likely to encounter issues with more recent library requirements.

As with the recent discussion about the SQLite 3.11 requirement for
PROJ, you can't expect old releases (like CentOS 6 & 7) to satisfy the
requirements for recent releases of all projects. That's an inherent
limitation of long term supported distributions.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1