[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Move from svn to Git (and by git I mean Gitea)

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski me at komzpa.net
Mon Oct 21 18:02:53 PDT 2019

IMHO there's no point in going off SVN if we're not going to Github.

If we go github, we get one-button merge pre-checking that CI is green, and
need to create a ticket goes away as PR with fix is self contained ticket.
It lowers a burden of maintenance significantly.

If we go to gitea, that's same story with "do this and that CLI stuff and
the github PR is merged" and no bot check that change is valid, same as
with dirty svn commits we have now.

If we're not really changing anything in development process what's the
point of changing the underlying svn->git?

Positive example of Github switch is QGIS: they migrated source code and
all the issues, and now creating an issue report is no pain. The Markdown
that everyone speaks now, and inserting screenshots right away are awesome.
That also means you don't have to run the bureaucracy of creating a ticket
for each pull request since each pull request is essentially a ticket
itself.

I believe Paul have already debugged the migrate-all-issues-to-github
thing, and it worked really well.

Otherwise there's no point in moving off the 1998-style trac and svn, I
don't see what do we fix with the move. This "use git" movement is not
really about git itself, it's about the well known github and infra around
it. Git-on-gitea is not noticeably different from svn-on-trac from that PoW.

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 2:37 PM Regina Obe <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:

> Even,
>
> I'm not going to argue with you on that metric.  You are right that Github
> has more pull requests. I don't forsee that changing at all and I am not
> blind to the fact that a large portion of our casual contributors (and even
> long standing ones) came thru Github.
>
> I just don't perceive the effort of accepting pull requests from Github if
> gitea is our master repo any harder than it is now and in fact it will be
> easier since it will be Git / Git.
>
> In fact I'm more concerned about if our master is GitHub how easy it would
> be to accept pull requests and accidentally let in a rogue commits.
> The fact that GitHub is such a juicy target for exploits because it does
> have mass appeal and the pressure everyone is imposing to just "Move to
> GitHub" because everyone is doing it,  is of great concern to me.  I've
> seen
> the same episode played time and time again.  The mass crowd in the long
> run
> is almost never the right solution.
>
> Thanks,
> Regina