[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Move from svn to Git (and by git I mean Gitea)

rmrodriguez at carto.com rmrodriguez at carto.com
Tue Oct 22 02:35:02 PDT 2019

I want to start with some context.

Whenever I have to backport a patch, which I see has happened 30+ times
in the last year, in git I can cherry-pick the commit to an older branch,
push it to my Github fork Github and wait for Travis to confirm it's ok.
Then, to push it to svn, I have to generate a patch (git diff),
move into svn and apply it.
This might seem trivial, but patch is quite basic as it doesn't consider
the project history, so more often than not I have to generate multiple
patches (one per active branch, currently 5) so it's quite a bit of work.
Anything we do to minimize that procedure would be great.

I use git because it's easier for me, I started with it and I use it in
all other projects except for pushing into Postgis, it's way faster than
svn, and it takes way less disk space (my current git folder with 6
remotes is 343MB, my current svn folder just with upstream is 6.6GB).
And I test against Travis because it's easy, fast, and I only run a single
PG version in my main machine, now PG12, which only works with Postgis 2.5+.

I agree with Komzpa and Paul in that I prefer Github over Gitea, I also
like things being (partially) tested before they are merged and making
it easier to contribute, but for me moving to git IS first about git,
then about whatever cool features we can get out of Github / Gitlab / Gitea,
so I disagree in that "Git-on-gitea" isn't different from "svn-on-trac".
Even getting a git server with no UI would be an improvement for me.

In any case, my +1 for whatever moves us out of svn.

--
Raúl Marín Rodríguez
carto.com