[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Move from svn to Git (and by git I mean Gitea)

rmrodriguez at carto.com rmrodriguez at carto.com
Wed Oct 23 03:02:18 PDT 2019

After reading the thread there is one thing clear for me: apparently
nobody is using SVN to develop so I think we can agree that it needs
to go away.

> Anyone trying to review development activity or find code to review has to check three places (actually four, since they should check the trac issue report too)

Technically, anyone that opens a PR in those places should also open a
ticket in trac, but nobody does because it means working twice for no
reason.

> I hadn’t even realized I was ignoring a whole third point of development

I only check trac and Github. I'm not saying it's right, but I never
log in other platforms so those essentially don't exist for me.

> Pull requests landing on any mirror but not having a
> corresponding Trac ticket should be just ignored, IMHO.

I think that is the wrong way to go. For any other project I've even
contributed to, if the project accepts PRs, opening one has been the
only thing I've ever needed to do. If we want more people
contributing, which I hope we do, we shouldn't have unnecessary extra
steps.

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 11:52 AM Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 02:34:49AM -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>
> > Anyone trying to review development activity or find code to review
> > has to check three places (actually four, since they should check the trac
> > issue report too).
>
> This is actually the reason why we want to keep Trac.
> Activity should be _only_ review/planned on Trac.
>
> Pull requests landing on any mirror but not having a
> corresponding Trac ticket should be just ignored, IMHO.
>
> Note that a similar problem exists for organizations
> having many different repository hosted on GitHub,
> enough that external tools are often used to have
> a "global view" on what's going on, and easier management
> ("what's to be done before going 3.0.0 final?").
>
> Trac has a plugin to deal with PR coming form any place
> (even from private git servers), shall we want to experiment
> with that:
>
>     https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/PullRequestsPlugin
>
> --strk;

Raúl Marín Rodríguez