[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Move from svn to Git (and by git I mean Gitea)

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Thu Oct 24 07:59:44 PDT 2019

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 10:49:23AM -0400, Daniel Baston wrote:

> > What purpose would a headless git serve vs. gitea?  Gitea is a single
> > executable and does everything we are using it’s PostgreSQL backend (though
> > it supports other databases like SQLite, MySQL, and even SQL Server – even
> > has integration with Microsoft Teams if we cared).
>
> The purpose would be to move immediately to git the source control system,
> which I think everyone can agree on, and defer until later the question of
> which web application, if any, the project adopts.

This is EXACTLY what I'm after, as well.
That's why I didn't like the confusion added by the part
in parens "(and by git I mean Gitea)"

I, personally, by git mean _git_.

Of course we need a server to arbitrate access to the official git
repository. One that can use LDAP, if we want to use the _same_
credentials we currently use for SVN (I would, less things to change).

Ideally the arbiter would also use the LDAP _groups_, so to
automatically recognize the "postgis committers" group in LDAP,
but I'm afraid I wasn't able to go that far (although Gitea is
free software so could probably be massaged to do that too!).