[postgis-devel] [postgis-users] Upgrade issues

James Sewell james.sewell at jirotech.com
Tue Sep 3 19:59:02 PDT 2019

On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 at 12:52, Regina Obe <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:

> Is this the first time you are running pg_upgrade?

On this database, yes.

> 1)      I think most users don’t even know they can use an srid other
> than 4326 for geography, so this probably hasn’t been exercised by many
> users

Yeah that makes sense! I actually haven't seen this in the wild before
either.

> 2)      This would not be an issue with regular PostGIS upgrade – ALTER
> EXTENSION postgis UPDATE;

This is a Postgres upgrade, yes (not a PostGIS upgrade).

> 3)        It’s because pg_upgrade tries to replicate exactly what you had
> by first creating an empty PostGIS extension and then loading in all the
> extension parts from the database.  In theory it should recognize that
> spatial_ref_sys is a part of PostGIS, so I’m very surprised you run into a
> situation where spatial_ref_sys table doesn’t exist.  The spatial_ref_sys
> table being empty is a bit more understandable.

It happens when the user table is in a schema which sorts before the schema
spatial_ref_sys is in - maybe this one can be fixed with pg_depends rules.

Being empty, yeah I don't know how to fix than *and* still allow people to
insert custom projections.

> 4)      I think also there was a time when the geography SRIDs were
> cached in a secret place, so geography didn’t rely on spatial_ref_sys.  I
> forget when this changed (might have been at 2.2 or 2.3).

Hmm. Interesting.

--
The contents of this email are confidential and may be subject to legal or
professional privilege and copyright. No representation is made that this