[postgis-devel] Inconsistencies in text output

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Fri Apr 17 09:42:05 PDT 2020

> On Apr 17, 2020, at 9:35 AM, rmrodriguez at carto.com wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 6:20 PM Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca> wrote:
>> This seems like a change that most users would regard as a net reduction in functionality.
>>
>> What's the win we are getting that makes this worthwhile?
>
> Consistency and working according to the documentation.

Wouldn't it be less disruptive to change the documentation?

> I wanted a way to ensure there would be no loss of information when
> doing storage1 > wkt/geojson -> storage2 as not having this has caused
> issues where the stored geometry was valid, but after moving it using
> GeoJSON it wasn't valid anymore.
> The solution option there was to ask for more resolution, but since
> the function isn't working as announced I wouldn't get it.  Yes,
> ideally the end system should be able to read WKB, but that's not
> always the case.

I'm happy to see "changing the knobs" work more consistently and match the documentation, but I have very large misgivings about producing twice-as-long-text-by-default as an acceptable side-effect of that change. Can you achieve your goals without radically altering the default outputs?