[postgis-devel] About EXTENSION from UNPACKAGED on PostgreSQL 13

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Wed Feb 26 07:37:41 PST 2020

Greetings,

* Sandro Santilli (strk at kbt.io) wrote:
> On pgsql-hackers we only want to find a future-proof way to "package
> existing objects into an extension".  If the syntax
> `CREATE EXTENSION <extname> FROM UNPACKAGED`
> has gone, would it be ok for just:
> `CREATE EXTENSION <extname>`
> to intercept unpackaged objects and package them ?

No.  The reason it was removed is because it's not going to be safe to
do when we have trusted extensions.  Perhaps it would be possible to
figure out a way to make it safe, but the reason FROM UNPACKAGED was
created and existed doesn't apply any more.  That PostGIS has been using
it for something else entirely is unfortunate, but the way to address
what PostGIS needs is to talk about that, not talk about how this ugly
hack used to work and doesn't any more.

Thanks,

Stephen