[postgis-devel] 3.0.1 issues report

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Jun 26 10:11:15 PDT 2020

Brian M Hamlin <maplabs at light42.com> writes:

>   as part of OSGeoLive 2020 on Ubuntu Focal, I am working with sethg
> from Mapserver project and noticed the following in the build recipe
> for mapserver Debian packaging:
>
> apt-get install --allow-unauthenticated protobuf-c-compiler
> libprotobuf-c-dev

Can you explain what --allow-unauthenticated means here?

> This seems to shows security vetting on *protobuf* adding a new layer
> of checks to library origin and content at build time.

I don't follow that.

> This apparent trend needs to be considered along with PostGIS project
> goals, to decide on what libraries are optional and what are not, in a
> build.

Are you saying there is something wrong with protobuf-c that means
PostGIS should recommend against it?

> Personally, I consider civilian access to strong computer science a
> high priority, with appropriate disclosure and documentation along
> with it.

Does "strong CS" mean 128 bit instead of 56-bit?

But seriously, I am having a very hard time understanding what you mean.