[postgis-devel] Precision Reduction?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Wed Nov 11 09:17:42 PST 2020

> On Nov 11, 2020, at 9:01 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 05:50:30PM +0100, rmrodriguez at carto.com wrote:
>> Is this something we want to tackle before GEOS 3.9 and Postgis 3.1?
>>
>> It seems like this is something that needs quite a bit of development,
>> with some important decisions to be made, plus a lot of testing. I'm
>> more inclined to add the low hanging fruits right now (precision
>> reducer functions and so on) and wait for the full set of new features
>> (stored precision, precision in overlay operations with different
>> source precisions and so on) for the next release (in a year), but I'm
>> interested in hearing what your opinions are in this.
>
> My concern is that if in a year from now we make ST_PrecisionReduce
> set a precision configuration in a Geometry it'll be a behavioural
> change. But I guess we can always add, in the future, an optional parameter
> to make the precision change encoded, so... feel free to go for it.

I don't see any reason this has to be a big bang of all the functionality at once. We can add a function that changes coordinates to a desired precision now. We can add in metadata stored on the geometry for the next release. We can start using that metadata for predicates and so on in releases after that... admittedly it all doesn't become really USEFUL as a big new FEATURE until the last step, but the intermediate steps are not completely valueless nor particularly intrusive for ordinary day-to-day use of the product.