[postgis-devel] Precision Reduction?

Martin Davis mtnclimb at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 18:13:14 PST 2020

For polygonal geometries, yes, ST_Union with a precision is the same as
precision reduction.

However, for lines ST_Union might change the topology more than is
required/expected, since it merges and nodes lines. And for MultiPoints it
will merge identical points.  In these cases ST_SnapToGrid is safer/better
to use.