[postgis-devel] Pg13 upgrade issues?

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Tue Sep 15 10:05:44 PDT 2020

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 09:56:40AM -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> > On Sep 15, 2020, at 9:53 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
> >
> > And actual data ! Sounds very drastic, why would this be simpler than
> > packaging on 'CREATE EXTENSION' ?
>
> Are you proposing direct editing the pg_extension and pg_depend tables to package the existing functions?

Nope. I'm proposing that postgis--3.1.0.sql includes the
code of postgis--unpackaged--3.1.0.sql under a conditional
(postgis already exists), so that we package any existing
one.

> We still have the limitation that we cannot create an extension within another create extension, if I'm not mistaken?

No mistake, we'd just have postgis_extensions_upgrade.sql run
the `CREATE EXTENSION postgis_raster` command without the `FROM
unpackaged` suffix.

> I tried your PR, and the core idea of a fake 'unpackaged' target seems miraculously to work, so there's just some polish to be added to the PR as far as I can tell. What do you feel are the drawbacks of it? The further we get away from 2.X, the less the "hackiness" of the solution matters in practical terms.

I don't see drawbacks other than the "hackish" mode.
If you like that model, we can as well go for it.
If not else, it's ready...