[postgis-devel] ST_AsFlatGeobuf / ST_FromFlatGeobuf ?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Wed Sep 23 08:22:23 PDT 2020

> On Sep 23, 2020, at 12:34 AM, Björn Harrtell <bjorn.harrtell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is flatgeobuf an alternative to shapefile, to MVT, or both? Do you
> expect people to use it to extract full datasets or only parts of it
> at a time?

I think it's a worthy addition, and having the format in PostGIS will promote usage (orobouros) because that makes the format available to all connecting languages, systems, and it doesn't need to be reimplemented in 50 locations.

> One thing I'm not sure about is `ST_FromFlatGeobuf`. I would expect
> that to return a table/tuple, but AFAIK there is no way to change the
> output format of a function based on the input, so I think I would
> expect something like a fgb2pgsql cli and not a SQL function.

See jsonb_to_record(jsonb), I think this is doable for geojson as well as [flat]geobuf.

P.