[postgis-devel] PostgreSQL 13 - what are we to do with PostGIS 3.1

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Thu Sep 24 08:55:24 PDT 2020

Dear All,

PostgreSQL 13 just came out and we are yet to release PostGIS 3.1 or even
have a beta version for PostGIS 3.1. I'd rather not rush to release and take
our time a bit to make sure we have a very good release.

One thing left on my to-do list is to break out postgis_sfcgal into its own
library.

Steps involved:

a) Darafei has already gotten rid of the GUC and the overlapping functions
(made them PostGIS only, e.g. ST_3DIntersects) - DONE

b) Add deprecated stubs to PostGIS; otherwise people doing a pg_upgrade with
postgis_sfcgal installed from prior versions will get an error when
upgrading. I will take this on.

c) Break out the postgis_sfcgal functions into a new library
postgis_sfcgal-3. I will take this on

I'm hoping, now that we have stripped the minor version from the lib file by
default, packagers will release our PostGIS 3.1.0 when it comes out.

To packagers,

I recall Chris (apt postgresql group) saying he had to put PostGIS 3.1.0 in
a graveyard repo because Debian can't have two PostGIS 3s in stable repo.
I'm not sure if Devrim has similar issues with yum packaging.

Greg, do you have similar issues with both a PostGIS 3.0 and PostGIS 3.1
coexisting, I'm guessing not because you are source packaging and not binary
packaging?

So big question, since we've missed releasing 3.1 in time for PostgreSQL 13:

apt.postgresql.org -- put this in stable and move 3.0 to graveyard, or even
better just get rid of 3.0 and force everyone who wants to upgrade to go to
PostGIS 3.1.

yum.postgresql.org -- I suspect you don't care and will just have a PostGIS
3.0 and PostGIS 3.1 side by side.

Thanks,

Regina