[postgis-devel] ST_GetValues()

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri Apr 16 01:54:43 PDT 2021

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 01:08:44AM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:
> > Sent: Friday, April 16, 2021 1:03 AM
> > To: 'PostGIS Development Discussion' <postgis-devel at lists.osgeo.org>
> > Subject: RE: [postgis-devel] ST_GetValues()
> >
> > > And building on that, ST_GetValues() which reads values from a raster
> > > into the Z or M coordinates of a reference geometry.

[..]

> How about just overloading the name ST_Force3DZ, ST_Force3DM cause that's
> essentially what you are doing here isn't it?

How about ST_PopulateZ and ST_PopulateM ?
Or even ST_SetZ and ST_SetM.
For the latter we also have an open ticket requesting to extend
the functionality of ST_SetZ/ST_SetM to allow getting the Z/M values
from some other computation. In this case the computation would be
extracting the value from a Raster, if I Understand correctly.

Or .. don't we have functions that "draw" a raster into a
"vector/geometry canvas" ? In that case we could have them
accept a non-empty canvas, to "draw into a pre-existing geometry",
with some draw operation (multiply/add/replace/subtract..).
I've some resemblance of implementing that kind of "drawing"
in the CHIP type times...