[postgis-devel] ST_MakeValid() behaviour

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 13:22:37 PDT 2021

I second Paul's comments - I would usually want "just fix the broken
geometry in a <best+efficient> way possible"() method as part of the
ST_MakeValid(). Moreover, in some cases it may be good to use
ST_MakeValid() in a low-probability of an error scenario (most data is ok
except some outliers) - forcing everything to be predictably valid.

I would only want to choose the fixing algorithm if I have the in-depth
knowledge of the specific breakage, and know the process that keeps leading
to that breakage. Without it, I am more likely to choose whichever the
current default flavour of the month is that fixes things in the most
"humanly expected" and "quick" way, and would be ok if broken geometries
would result in slightly different output after an upgrade.  Hope there
weren't too many "quotes" here :)