[postgis-devel] PostGIS 3.2.0beta3 is released

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Sun Dec 12 09:20:57 PST 2021

On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 11:59:45AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> writes:

> >   1) make staged-install # from top-level
>
> Do the tests not use the build tree, without installing?  This seems
> like a bug to need this

It's a "staged" install, not a sytem install, things are installed
under the build dir, for "run_test.pl" to find them. The
"staged-install" target is a dependency of "check" (and "test")
targets, so it isn't needed to run it explicitly when running
tests.

> >   2) regress/run_test.pl --nodrop regress/core/geography.sql
> >   3) psql postgis_reg
> >   4) psql> select pg_backend_pid()
> >   5) attach gdb to backend
> >   6) psql> \i regress/core/geography.sql
>
> That all sounds good.

Now that I think about it, there's a possibility that the
tests expect some variables to be set (like :regdir). In that
case just invoking `psql` (step 3) with no other options would
not work as expected. It may be a good idea to add an --interactive
or --shell option to `run_test.pl` to invoke psql with the
appropriate variables and leave further control to the caller.

--strk;

  Libre GIS consultant/developer
  https://strk.kbt.io/services.html