[postgis-devel] Interrupt on SIGTERM

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski me at komzpa.net
Mon Feb 22 10:27:39 PST 2021

We should follow the signals in the Postgres doc:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/server-shutdown.html

If someone wants fast shutdown they should issue a fast shutdown command
which will trigger SIGINT which we handle. Recommended course of action is
to change the shutdown method to fast rather than hacking postgis to
support fast shutdown in smart mode.

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 9:18 PM Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca>
wrote:

> So, thanks to Sandro's good works over past years we have reasonable
> handling of interrupts embedded in PostGIS and back into busy areas of GEOS
> too. But, the interrupt signal we respect is SIGINT, which is what you can
> generate with a ctrl-C in psql or hitting the stop button in pgadmin. This
> is good and works. However, for system SHUTDOWN, the signal the system
> sends is SIGTERM and we do... nothing with that signal. So a shutdown can
> be paused until a statement completes, which can be quite a while.
>
> I'm not sure if we should interupt on SIGTERM. I am going back and forth
> just sitting here typing. I'm pretty sure PgSQL in general expects to allow
> all running statements to complete before shutting down, which implies not
> interrupting on SIGTERM. On the other hand, PgSQL has this OLTP assumption
> pretty deeply built in that most statements just aren't expected to last
> very long.
>
> Relevant ticket is here
> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/4857#comment:5
>
> Opinions solicited.