[postgis-devel] Make "master" branch also available as "main"

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Wed Jan 13 14:38:41 PST 2021

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 11:30:56PM +0100, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 01:18:20AM +0300, Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski wrote:
> > Hey, the point of the thing is not to add a thing called "main" but to get
> > rid ot the thing called "master" which your plan fails to accomplish. If we
> > go there, go all-in.
>
> I know what's the plan, but "go all-in" takes time.
> I'm just offering a way to keep things working in the meanwhile.

To be more explicit: by doing the "aliasing" thing we can focus
on updating CI configs, local environment, CI badges etc.

As different people will be involved in doing these changes, each
one with at their own pace, it's nice that thing still work for
everybody.

I remember when we went from "trunk" to "master" some contributors
were too annoyed by being unable to do the "rebasing" we asked them
to do (can't remember if it was GEOS or PostGIS) and just gave up
and run away. This would not happen, as the "rebase" would not be
needed at all.