[postgis-devel] Advertising #postgis:osgeo.org as the official chat room

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Wed Jun 16 02:34:34 PDT 2021

Up to now the "official" chat room has been advertised as being an
IRC channel on Freenode, but recently a Libera.chat network was funded
by freenode staff people due to a policy change in management of the
Freenode network. My account on freenode, and that of many others,
have been deleted (without my intervention, it was just forced) so
it's not much of a political choice whether to move or not, it's just
that we don't seem to be welcome anymore on Freenode.

I've thus registered a #postgis IRC channel on libera.chat and
repointed the matrix bridge to that network.

Those of you using Matrix will not be affected.

As I know many are not using IRC these days, and since OSGeo now
hosts it's own Matrix homeserver (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Matrix),
how about advertising the *matrix* room as the official chat channel ?

I've implemented this idea in this PR for the website:
https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/postgis/postgis.net/pulls/2

  /\   https://strk.kbt.io/services.html