[postgis-devel] PostGIS 3 and MobilityDB

Esteban Zimanyi ezimanyi at ulb.ac.be
Fri Jun 25 02:38:34 PDT 2021

Dear all

Allow me to continue a conversation that we started a couple of years ago.
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-devel/2019-March/027817.html

Since that time MobilityDB has continued its development. In particular
MobilityDB is now an OSGeo project
https://www.osgeo.org/projects/mobilitydb/
and we are involved in the OGC Moving Features Standard Working Group
https://www.ogc.org/projects/groups/movfeatswg

Now that our user base has considerably increased, we are continuously
receiving the same question "What about PostGIS 3.1 support?"

An important aspect to take into account in order to answer the above
question is that a reasonably sized mobility dataset contains BILLIONS
(literally) of timestamped points (or instants as we call them).

For example, the Danish Maritime Authority provide AIS datasets
https://www.dma.dk/SikkerhedTilSoes/Sejladsinformation/AIS/Sider/default.aspx
with the following characteristics

# Instants Data Size
1 day 10,408,105 1.5GB
1 week 71,381,898 6.5GB
1 month 312,206,006 53GB
2 months 639,676,615 103GB
4 months 1,406,804,683 224GB
8 months 2,831,621,116 461GB

As you may know, MobilityDB delegates the spatial processing to PostGIS and
takes care of the temporal aspects. Obviously, we can use the SQL interface
to call PostGIS functions. However, given the huge number of points that
need to be manipulated, we cannot afford to tell our users that migrating
from PostGIS version 2.5.5 to 3.1.2 will imply a significant performance
penalty.

Therefore, we ask your advice to support PostGIS 3.1 in MobilityDB. We are
willing to change ANYTHING in our code (which is already compatible with
PostgreSQL version 14 beta)
https://github.com/MobilityDB/MobilityDB/tree/develop
to enable a sustainable integration of PostGIS and MobilityDB.

Regards

Esteban