[postgis-devel] PSC Vote - Mark postgis, postgis_topology, address_standardizer as trusted

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Mon Mar 8 05:36:16 PST 2021

> Are there any requirements to be a "trusted extension"? As in DO and DON'T
> we should take into account during development in the future? I couldn't
> find anything in Postgresql docs.
>

> Regards,
>
> Ra l.

I couldn't find anything either specifically regarding trusted.  Just general advice that applies to both trusted and untrusted like

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/extend-extensions.html#EXTEND-EXTENSIONS-SECURITY-FUNCS

There is one big no no we are violating.

Our postgis.sql.in and friends should not be using CREATE OR REPLACE.  Should just be CREATE.  Though okay for upgrade scripts to have that.  I don't quite follow that argument.
Though it sounds like it's more of an issue for extensions that require superuser than non-superuser extensions as I think more damage can be done by an extension installed by a super user.  So not sure that is a reason not to allow regular user install  rather than something we should just do anyway.

Thanks,
Regina