[postgis-devel] GSoC winning Candidate: Implement sorting methods for PostGIS data types before building GiST index

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Mon May 17 12:40:01 PDT 2021

I'd like to congratulate Han on being picked for our only GSOC slot for this
year.

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-devel/2021-April/028857.html

Han had already submitted a patch before he was picked and started reviewing
our code and PostgreSQL code as well.

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-devel/2021-April/028855.html

This new feature will rely on GIST improvements coming in PostgreSQL 14.

We had several other good candidates but sadly only one slot and one project
in mind.  Hopefully next year if we start earlier we can come up with more
ideas and perhaps get more people interested in mentoring.

Han will primarily be working with Giuseppe Broccolo, but I'll take
responsibility of making sure the upgrade logic, testing logic, and any
addition in documentation is written to our standard. I will also take
responsibility of testing and  accepting pull requests.
I'll be asking others to criticize the code (Paul, Darafei, Raul  I'm
looking at you) as I think others are more familiar with this area than I
am.

Welcome Han.

Thanks,
Regina