[postgis-devel] ERROR: operator class "brin_geography_inclusion_ops" does not exist for access method "brin"

Justin Pryzby pryzby at telsasoft.com
Fri Oct 8 17:46:02 PDT 2021

On a postgres 14 instance, with:
postgis32_14-3.2.0-alpha1_1.rhel7.x86_64

I have a new nagios check that extensions upgrades have been applied when
available.

It's warning, and actually postgis was still "unpackaged" after handsful of
pg_upgrades each year.  So I did this:

        ts=# SELECT postgis_extensions_upgrade();
        NOTICE:  Packaging extension postgis
        ERROR:  operator class "brin_geography_inclusion_ops" does not exist for access method "brin"
        CONTEXT:  SQL statement "ALTER EXTENSION postgis ADD OPERATOR CLASS brin_geography_inclusion_ops USING brin"
        PL/pgSQL function inline_code_block line 3 at SQL statement
        SQL statement "CREATE EXTENSION postgis SCHEMA public VERSION unpackaged;ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE TO "3.2.0alpha1""
        PL/pgSQL function postgis_extensions_upgrade() line 68 at EXECUTE

I got around it for now by doing a partial "CREATE OPERATOR CLASS
brin_geography_inclusion_ops".  I guess the server may have run various postgis
betas over the years and maybe missed something in the meantime.

If need be, it's not too hard for us to drop postgis and re-add it.  However I
also found 2 of our instances running v13 which have the same issue, so maybe
there's a deficiency that should be addressed.

--
Justin (an early adopter)