[postgis-devel] [postgis-users] PostGIS 3.3.0 rc1 in about a week

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Aug 3 05:46:13 PDT 2022

> "Regina Obe" <lr at pcorp.us> writes:
>
> >>   gtk 2 is really crufty
> >>   gtk 2, when it exists, is 2.24.33, not 2.2.0
> >>
> >> so probably the README is wrong.  Either that or it only works with
> >> 2.2.0 and nobody has tried in 10 years.
> >
> > It works with newest but only desktop users use it and even then I
> > think maybe only windows users and Mac users.
>
> ok; would be good to say "just gtk 2 (really 2, not 3)" as the dependency
text
> then.  I don't plan to pay attention to it as I don't use GUI tools when
there's
> no good reason.

I updated yesterday -
https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/postgis/postgis/commit/c771aeb28e9cefceb1b44aa86
b1e5bb4e19f7b29

It's old and was more useful when it could be a plugin into pgAdmin3.
People on (at least on windows) still use it but it's not as convenient as
it used to be because they now have to fill in the connection details,
whereas when it was used as a plugin, pgAdmin did that.

Now that pgAdmin3 is dead, I'm more focused on building out a plugin on
pgAdmin4 to replace it.

The plugin is planned to use shp2pgsql and pgsql2shp -- detailed here -

https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/GoogleSummerCode2022#Idea2:AugmentpgAdmi
ntosupportimportingandexportingshapefiles

Just a side note, QGIS DbManager is a good alternative to this, and supports
PostGIS to database focused people.  Also the fact that QGIS DbManager
doesn't allow you to design tables and see other things like extensions that
PgAdmin4 provides, makes it extra annoying.

Thanks,
Regina