[postgis-devel] Upgrade paths (again)

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri Aug 12 10:37:00 PDT 2022

On Mon, Aug 08, 2022 at 02:50:38AM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:
> > postgis install-upgrade-from-available
> > Where it ends up installing 40 upgrade path files:
>
> This only seems useful to end users that compile their own PostGIS, or am I
> missing something.

I'd say it's generally useful also to system administrator, who
knows which versions of PostGIS were ever installed on the system.

And to package management systems, to run BEFORE getting rid of the
old packages, to ensure no upgrade path is ever left uncovered ?

> A packager is not going to know which versions a user has installed, and
> likely doesn't even have anything installed in their PostgreSQL install.

The package managers I know of have the ability to run a script before
or after doing "things". Don't knot the details but they do things
like setting symlinks or starting interactive configuration sessions.

They may as well run that script.

> And for such a user, they most likely can update their system catalogs fine,
> so your original solution committed to PostGIS 3.3.0 still seems more
> straightforward and useful.

I love my original solution (messing with catalogs) but we found that
to be not viable on cloud systems and I'm trying to find a solution for
that (this is similar to Solution3 on the wiki)