[postgis-devel] Upgrade paths (again)

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri Aug 12 10:41:34 PDT 2022

On Mon, Aug 08, 2022 at 12:44:14PM +0200, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: Sandro Santilli
>
> >   loader/postgis install-upgrade-path-from <version>
> >   loader/postgis install-upgrade-paths-for <database>
>
> I don't have a comment as a packager since we aren't auto-upgrading
> extensions at pg_upgradecluster time yet, but as a user, I'd really
> hate to have to execute some snowflake extra script that would
> presumably even require root privileges. 300 extra files on the
> filesystem are not a problem if they mean the PostGIS upgrade is less
> painful.

The problem is that even if we install 600 extra files TODAY,
a user installing a new patch-level release of an older stable
branch released TOMORROW would be stuck in that older stable
version until <SOME_OTHER_TIME_IN_FUTURE> a new minor release is out.

Example to clarify things:

  Day 10: postgis-3.3.0 is released
  Day 20: postgis-3.0.10 is released
  Day 30: postgis-3.3.1 is released

Users who installed and upgraded to 3.0.10
in day 20 would NEVER be able to upgrade to 3.3.0
but can only wait 10 days (in the sample) to upgrade
to 3.3.1.

With the script, they would install the upgrade path
from 3.0.10 and be able to upgrade.