[postgis-devel] Proposal: drop support for libproj < 6.1 in PostGIS 3.3.0

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri Feb 11 15:00:08 PST 2022

It's weird that it is me proposing this, but Debian stable (11)
ships libproj 7.1 and so I've no problem accepting that we
drop support for libproj < 7 for PostGIS 3.3.0

PROs:
  - we could query the proj db for spatial_ref_sys entries
    ( https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/5094 )
    and stop shipping spatial_ref_sys.sql all togheter
    (as suggested by Raul)
  - we could drop a few #idefs

CONs:
  - people running in production older proj won't be able
    to upgrade ONLY postgis w/out upgrading libproj
    (meh)

Thanks Regina we now have libproj support matrix written
here: https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/UsersWikiPostgreSQLPostGIS
The table puts proj 6.0-6.3 togheter, not sure why, our code seems
to want 6.1+ for some specific things.

--strk;

  Libre GIS consultant/developer
  https://strk.kbt.io/services.html