[postgis-devel] Proposal: drop support for libproj < 6.1 in PostGIS 3.3.0

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Feb 11 17:06:57 PST 2022

Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca> writes:

> This is kind of the place I feel blind. Like what are the extant proj versions at Ubunto 20, 18, 16... ?
> I'm leery about turning off those old versions, because old proj is
> still so commonplace. I understand that to some extent we have to
> drive change, but within reason. There's a maximum amount of pain we
> want to cause weiged against benefit.

Not ubuntu but as proj packager for pkgsrc, I got stuck at 6.3.2.  Not
for a good reason, but moving beyond that gets into dealing with the
proj CDN and a different format of proj data.  Part of the issue is that
proj people think it's reasonable to download on the fly and manage
permissions of who can put downloaded stuff where, and packaging people,
not so much.  Really I should have dealt with this by now, and I hope to
soon, but I haven't.

So that's not really a "requiring 7.1 bad".  But there are structural
reasons that would make me unsurprised if a fair number of environments
were still at 6.3.