[postgis-devel] autoconf versions

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Jan 5 08:29:04 PST 2022

Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca> writes:

> We discussed this before, but now that we are on a fresh master branch I thought I'd re-raise, perhaps it's time to do the updates in configure.ac to quiet the warnings, like
>
> configure.ac:65: warning: The macro `AC_LIBTOOL_COMPILER_OPTION' is obsolete.
> configure.ac:79: warning: The macro `AC_LIBTOOL_LINKER_OPTION' is obsolete.
> configure.ac:134: warning: AC_PROG_LEX without either yywrap or noyywrap is obsolete
> configure.ac:824: warning: AM_PROG_MKDIR_P: this macro is deprecated, and will soon be removed.
> configure.ac:824: warning: The macro `AC_TRY_LINK' is obsolete.
>
> etc, etc,
>
> New year, new versions, all that good stuff?
> If I don't hear howls of outrage I'm going to do it.

No outrage, but I expect this involves picking a new version for minimum
required version, so that you can use things introduced in that version
or later.

Personally, I use pkgsrc which has 2.71, so I am highly unlikely to be
bothered.

What version do you propose as the new minimum?

(If you are just cleaning up and the new configure.ac will work on the
same set of versions, I see zero issues.)