[postgis-devel] DOI for the PostGIS project / Springer Handbook of Geoinformatics

Peter Löwe peter.loewe at gmx.de
Thu Jan 13 10:00:03 PST 2022

Hi Paul, all,
thanks for responding so quickly.

Unlike a URL, a DOI (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_object_identifier) will never break (no 404 error ever). DOI enable long term open access preservation and storage, which is handled by global scientific infrastructures, including Zenodo and what will follow afterwards. Content (i.e. PostGIS releases) preserved that way will be available long time after the current project repo and Wikipedia will be a thing of the past. BTW, Wikipedia digs DOI as a reference for reliable information.

The Handbook will be around for at least five, maybe ten years. One reason for DOI (which will keep pointing to the latest PostGIS release, and maybe more up to date content (see #5 below) is to give added value to the readers and not to bog them down with obsolete information.

The PostGIS community can of course register a DOI whenever they agree to do so, if ever. I just want to make sure that all software projects covered in the Open Source chapter can make an informed decision whether they want to have their DOI referenced in the Handbook. Otherwise, the project URL will be used for reference, of course.

Some reasons for DOI for the PostGIS community are IMHO:

1) Little effort, no cost and significant benefits for everybody who's involved in PostGIS and relies on scientific credit for their careers (-> students, early career scientists, people on tenure track).
2) preservation of all code releases in an open access long term repository (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenodo), free of charge and effortless for the project community
3) Reference by DOI is the way to go when citing anything with a long list of authors/committers: PostGIS has about 85 committers according to GitHub, I would expect there might be even more involved persons which deserve due credit for their work.
4) When ORCIDs (https://orcid.org/) for persons serving as developers, maintainers, etc. are included into the committer - metadata (GitHub-sided), the DOI workflows will pick this up and will add due credit by reference to their citation lists.
5) DOI can be used to link information. This includes DOI for video recordings and presentations. Videos from FOSS4G events (we already have piles of them) can now be linked to software project DOI and vice versa (and also linked to ORCIDs of real people), like https://doi.org/10.5446/32022 or https://doi.org/10.5446/15549 :-)

One option could be to upload the latest stable releases for now (with the option to evolve, if need or enthusiasm arises), as the rasdaman community does: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1040171

Best,
Peter

<peter.loewe at gmx.de>